Thursday, July 5, 2012

Kool-Aid Cupcakes



Doesn't she look beautiful? Let me tell ya, she was tasty!

I love to bake, cook, mix, combine, and concoct. I have enjoyed it since I was a wee girl who had to pull the chair up to the counter in order to see in the mixing bowl. Once I learned to read, my mom, dad, and great grandma taught me to read and follow recipes. Back then I was a machine! Cakes, cookies, breads, dinners, you name it- I tried it (usually successfully).

Lately, I like making treats. I like making simple treats. You know, because you can only fit so much in during nap time. The only problem is that we are not really a sweet treat family. Don't get me wrong, we all love our sweets- but one or two for each one of us is usually plenty.

I hate wasting food. So cupcakes, muffins, and cookies have been my go-to lately. They are easy to pack and disperse. I make the full recipe. I leave enough here for the family. I also pack a plate for the neighbors. The rest gets distributed to friends and family, or just anybody that may be needing a treat.

I found this post for orange creamsicle cupcakes at Bear Rabbit Crafts. These sound delightful, and look so easy. So I gave it a try.

A box of white cake mix (and the ingredients needed to make the cake), and a packet of orange kool-aid.

That's it. Mix it together, bake according to the directions on the box, let cool, and frost.

For the frosting add a little kool-aid to white frosting and mix. It is important not to add too much kool-aid, or else the frosting will be bitter.

The verdict: These are absolutely wonderful! They were extremely simple, yet tasted like there was a lot of work involved. Perfect for this season of my life. I think next time I will try something different with  the frosting. I think I may use orange flavoring, (extract, whatever you call it) and a few drops of food coloring.

Let me know if you try different flavor concoctions.

No comments:

Post a Comment