Wednesday, July 25, 2012

No Vinyl, No Problem. DIY Puffy Paint Labels

One of my to-dos are canisters. I have this shelf space above the cupboards in our kitchen. I want my (bulky) baking stuff up there. Stuff like flours and sugars.

I found canisters that I like at Bed Bath and Beyond. I have bought three (with coupons of course) so far.

The problem? They are not labeled. Then use your fancy vinyl cutting thingamajig. Right?
Nope, I don't have one, and since I am trying to use what I have in order to clear space and save money- I am not about to buy one.

What's a girl to do? Put it on her do-it-later list? Wrong! Use what she has.

I came across a post about puffy paint. Remember that stuff? Nineties flashback! (I was a young, aspiring designer because of puffy paint.) At Doodle Craft they found that puffy paint can be used as window clings.

Hmmm. I think I can make this work...

Here's what you need:

  • glass container
  • image to trace
  • tape
  • Windex, paper towel
  • puffy paint
1. Clean the area you are painting.
2. Tape image on inside of glass.


3. Trace image with puffy paint. *if you are a lefty, write from right to left (how do you think I figured that one out?)




4. Let Dry. *I had to put jar on its side (with paint on top), because the first try ran.


5. That's it! Enjoy your vinyl-less canisters.



Note- this stuff is just like a window cling when dry. So, it may not be a permanent solution, but it works for me.To wash, either peel off, or wash very gently. (The good news is that if you mess up, it peels right off!)

One more to-do done! Do you have a favorite vinyl alternative?

2 comments:

  1. Ooh neat. I just bought some puffy paints for another project. A true double dipping is in order. Your jars turned out beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It was so easy! I'm brainstorming what I can puffy paint next. Check out this puffy paint jewelry: http://tousledday.blogspot.com/2012/07/puff-paint-jevelry.html

      Can't wait to see what you puffy.

      Delete