Wednesday, July 24, 2013

When Life Gets You Down, Just Sew

I have been in a bit of a creative funk lately. Actually I have been in a whole life slump. It has been hard to get my mind to focus on a task. In fact, the only focus I could muster is on my crochet projects.

Yet, I feel need to sew. I want to write. My home needs loving. My family needs to be fed (I have been feeding them, but it has been the 5 o’clock dinner scramble).

Desperate to pull myself out of this hole, I made myself sew.

I didn’t care what came out of it. My only goal was to ignite a fire.

The result… I finished a few projects from my UFO bin, snapped pictures of a couple refashions that have been finished for a bit now, caught up on laundry, vacuumed, and cleaned the kitchen sink (seriously, this has been on my to-do list for the last four days!) Oh yeah, I also made a loaf of banana bread.

Here is one more completed refashion:

Detroit Refashion

Nothing spectacular, yet so dang comfy. This tank is from another of hubby’s discarded t-shirts (I know what you are thinking: How many t-shirts does this man own! It’s not that bad, I just snag them up as soon as he says, “I don’t want this anymore.”)

I used this pattern from So Zoe What Do You Know? This pattern/tutorial is well written and easy to follow. There are a lot of step-by-step pictures. She even includes instructions for FOE, and underwear elastic. This was my first experience with fold over elastic. (Just like most other sewing techniques I have avoided; so much easier than I had imagined.)

*Please follow instructions, and measure yourself. I skipped this step my first try at the pattern. Luckily I was using one of hubby’s old bowling shirts. Winking smile

What methods do you use to climb your way out of a creative funk/life slump? As always, I love hearing your thoughts.

3 comments:

  1. I really like that top- am now looking at Zoe's pattern to do one myself! I havent felt like sewing since the hot weather's started- I can't face turning on the iron! I guess I just have to make myself sit down and get on with something, just like you did.
    Freya May

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked this post. What do I do to climb out of a life/creative funk? I dress up! It's as simple as that. It's amazing what clothes can do for your attitude. I wear my cutest dress or top and pants and then go to google or pinterest for creative inspiration. This is a great refashion by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I may have to try dressing up next time!

      Delete