Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Sheer Plaid Top Review

At the beginning of January I was asked by Mama Nene to be a part of the Serger Pepper pattern testing group. I was beyond excited, because the first pattern was a woman’s top. (This mama needs a few additions to her wardrobe.)

The pattern, Sheer Plaid Top, is simply amazing. For starters, it is extremely beginner friendly. Secondly, it features professional finishing techniques (French seams). Third this pattern is so versatile.

sheer top pattern test

The first top I made was in a jersey knit from my stash. I almost backed out. Seeing the fabric laying on the floor waiting to be cut, all I could see was an adorable maxi skirt or dress. Obviously I rose above my fabric cutting fears and dove in.

No regrets, I have wore this top once a week since I finished it. Here’s a glimpse at the hi-lo hem (and my stripes match!):

Knit Top

The top is designed to be a loose fitting and flowing top (which is perfect for me, since i have been eating my stress away…). The kimono sleeves, a cowl neck, hi-lo hem, and oversize fit make this one of the most versatile tops in my closet. It can be worn over a long sleeved top, a turtleneck, or a tank in the summer.

I loved this top so much, I had to make another.

Floral Sheer Top by theresastodos.blogspot.com

First, I want to explain why the first top was not sheer. One of the first sewing projects I tried to tackle was curtains. Sheer curtains. It didn’t go so well. Every time I pushed the foot pedal, my beautiful sheer green fabric disappeared. My borrowed machine was eating my fabric! After many swear words and fighting with the machine, I packed it up and promptly returned the machine to my mom. “I’m buying my curtains!”

Recently I went to Jo-Ann’s. They had fabric 50% off of the clearance price. That is bad, real bad. (If you haven’t realized, I am a fabric hoarder, and a clearance junkie.)

I found this beautiful sheer fabric for $2.00 a yard, and 50% off that is…$1.00 a yard! That my friends is when I made the commitment to sew sheer. I was only losing $2.00 if things went the same route as the curtains, right?

Sheer Floral Top Belted

(So sorry for all of the awkward remote pics.)
I beat the sheer!

I omitted the cowl on this top, and did rolled seams instead. I added three inches to the length, and kept the front and back hems the same length.

I also timed myself. About one hour, start to finish, French seams and rolled hems. You can’t beat that!

Mama Nene is offering the pattern for only $2.90 right now. So I suggest you head over and get your very own Sheer Plaid Top pattern quick!

What have you been creating? Leave a link, I would love to check it out.

Posting my project here:
Do Tell Tuesday

11 comments:


  1. I love how you have been, one more casual for everyday and one very elegant, I love the fabric you chose, I'm thrilled with the pattern I can benefit substantially from the. With the belt I really like how it is.

    Kisses/Bea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like it with the belt, too. I love the length on the second one, and am thinking about a tunic length in knit also. I love this pattern!

      Delete
  2. I like both your tops Theresa, but the sheer black with roses is absolutely stunning x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I am addicted....I want to make more!

      Delete
    2. Count me in on that. I can't wait until the next test pattern arrives :)

      Delete
  3. You beated sheer fear - no doubt!
    your striped one was perfect for daytime and relax, while this last one, black and red roses... whispers "night date..." to me!

    Thank you so much for your help, theresa, and warm up your sewing machine: next testing is coming... really soon ;)

    MammaNene @ SergerPepper.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for letting me take part! I cannot wait to see the next pattern.

      Delete
  4. Two great tops, Theresa and two totally different looks... the first comfy and casual, the second, very elegant. Next time I try the pattern, I think I'll go for a casual look and use a stretch fabric. Well done on sewing with sheer fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, the striped top is a nice casual staple!

      Delete
  5. I absolutely love it, especially the floral with the belt. Great job!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, the floral top is my favorite also. Although I have worn the striped one more often....

      Delete